The Company of Master Mariners of Canada was incorporated by Federal Charter on May 11th, 1967. There are eight regional divisions, with the National Office in the City of Vancouver, British Columbia. The Company was established to encourage and maintain the high and honourable standards of the Nautical Profession, further the efficiency of the sea service and uphold the dignity and prestige of Master Mariners.
Vision
The Company of Master Mariners of Canada continues to be a recognized and respected organization, representing the interests of Canadian shipmasters and senior deck officers, from which advice and guidance will be sought.
Mission
The Company of Master Mariners of Canada exists to:
Encourage and maintain a high and honourable standard of ability and professional conduct of the officers of the Canadian Merchant Service
Provide a central body of command level mariners representing senior officers of the Canadian Merchant Service
Encourage and further develop education, training and qualifications of young seafarers and cadets
Participate in, and provide input into, National and International groups in matters concerning the safety, operation, and regulation of ships and their crews
Organize conventions and seminars for the discussion and consideration of topics of interest to the Merchant Service and mariners
Promote and maintain efficient and friendly cooperation between the commercial, government and military fleets of Canada
Values
Recognizing the unique nature of employment in the marine profession, we are guided by:
Professionalism
Respect
Integrity
In early 1897, work commenced on a sleek 5.86 gross tons, 30ft, wooden gaff cutter (sloop) in the James Bay boatyard of John J. Robinson. Although nothing remains of Robinson’s busy shop — now the site of the Laurel Point Inn — the vessel he built is still ‘above the waves’. Today, Dorothy is considered the oldest sailing yacht in all of Canada and a major artefact in the Maritime Museum of BC’s collection.
To learn the latest on S/V Dorothy, please refer to our website: http://mmbc.bc.ca/dorothy/
John Kirkendale worked as a deckhand on towboats at the early age of 15. During WWII, he was an officer in the Royal Canadian Navy, serving as navigating officer in corvettes and minesweepers in the Atlantic. By the end of the war he was a Lieutenant, RCNR. He later served as first mate on the Estevan and other vessels. John enjoyed building various ships and restoring them, notably the 68 foot D'Arcy Isle. He also compiled a very comprehensive archive of ships in which he gained a vast knowledge of commercial vessels on the Pacific Coast. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?n=john-kirkendale&pid=157443334#sthash.hT44n8RI.dpuf
John Guzzwell is a noted small boat sailor originally from England who immigrated to Canada at the age 25 and built the yacht Trekka in Victoria in the early 1950s. He then sailed her around the world single-handed. When he returned to Victoria in 1959 his was the smallest sailing yacht to have completed a circumnavigation. John Guzzwell then went on to have a successful career as a boatbuilder.
27,894 gross/50,921 deadweight ton tanker built 1982. She was registered in Panama and was last in service in 2010.
Originally a Victoria-based towing company established by Harold Elworthy in 1924, the company acquired the large towing vessel Sudbury, a converted corvette, in 1954 that was BC’s most famous tug. It acquired another towing company, Young & Gore, in 1965 and Victoria Tug Company in 1958. McAllister Towing of Montreal purchased Island Tug in 1960 and then, in 1961, Griffiths Steamship Company. In 1969, Genstar Ltd. acquired Island Tug & Barge and in 1970 merged Vancouver Tug Boat Company and Island Tug to become Seaspan International.
HMCS Niobe is a former diadem class cruiser bought by Canada in 1910. She served on east coast from 1910 to 1915, was taken out of active service in 1915m and served as a depot ship in Halifax from 1915 to 1920.
HMCS Niobe is also the designation for a series of Royal Canadian Navy shore establishments in the United Kingdom in existence from 1941 to 1966. The establishment was located in London from 1946 to 1966 and accommodated Canadian Naval Liaison Staff.